bn-town

The Town of Chachoengsao

เมืองฉะเชิงเทรา

เมืองฉะเชิงเทราตั้งขึ้นในสมัยรัชกาลที่ 3 เมือพระบาทสมเด็จพระนั่งเกล้าเจ้าอยู่หัว (พ.ศ. 2367 – 2394) ทรงพระกรุณาโปรดเกล้าฯ ให้สร้างกำแพงเมืองและป้อมกันศัตรูศัตรูใน พ.ศ. 2377 เมืองฉะเชิงเทราในระยะแรกจึงอยู่บริเวณริมแม่น้ำบางปะกง ตั้งแต่บริเวณวัดสัมปทวน ตลาดบ้านใหม่ ตลาดบริเวณคลองท่าไข่ จนถึงวัดโสธรวรารามวรวิหาร เมืองฉะเชิงเทราจึงมีความเจริญทางเศรษฐกิจตั้งแต่นั้นมา เนื่องจากเป็นพื้นที่ผลิตข้าวและน้ำตาลไปขายประเทศจีน ในขณะเดียวกันก็มีการอพยพของคนจีนเข้ามาในพื้นที่มากเช่นกัน ต่อมาในสมัยรัชกาลพระบาทสมเด็จพระจุลจอมเกล้าเจ้าอยู่หัว (พ.ศ. 2411 – 2453) มีการขยายอิทธิพลของประเทศตะวันตกมายังภูมิภาคอินโดจีน ทำให้ฉะเชิงเทรามีความคัญทางด้านยุทธศาสตร์ มีการย้ายที่ว่าการมณฑลปราจีนจากจังหวัดปราจีนบุรีมายังฉะเชิงเทรา ด้วยเหตุนี้จึงมีการก่อสร้างอาคารราชการซึ่งแสดงถึงศูนย์กลางทางการปกครองทางภาคตะวันออก ได้แก่ ที่ว่าการมณฑลปราจีน ซึ่งต่อมาเป็นศาลากลางจังหวัดฉะเชิงเทรา ศาลจังหวัด ตำหนักกรมหมื่นมรุพงษ์ศิริพัฒน์ ที่ทำการไปรษณีย์ ฯลฯ นอกจากนั้นยังมีอาคารที่มีความสำคัญทางประวัติศาสตร์และวัฒนธรรมอื่นๆ ได้แก่ วัด ศาลเจ้า ร้านค้า และที่อยู่อาศัย ซึ่งอาคารหลายแห่งนั้นพระบาทสมเด็จพระจุลจอมเกล้าเจ้าอยู่หัว เคยเสด็จพระราชดำเนินเยือนในช่วง พ.ศ. 2450 และ พ.ศ. 2451 แหล่งมรดกทางวัฒนธรรมดังกล่าวสะท้อนบทบาทและความสำคัญทางประวัติศาสตร์ และวัฒนธรรมของเมืองฉะเชิงเทราในอดีต สมควรจะได้รับการอนุรักษ์และพัฒนาให้เป็นมรดกทางวัฒนธรรมของชาติสืบไป

The City of Chachoengsao was founded when King Rama III ordered the construction of a rampart and a fort in 1834 to defend the country from the enemy. The town was originally situated at the bank of the Bang Pakong River, stretching from Sampatoen Temple, through Ban Mai Market, a market at Tha Khai Canal to Sothorn Woraram Worawiharn Temple. Since then the town had played an important economic role as it is located in an area which produces large quantities of rice and sugar to be exported to China. In the meantime, more and more Chinese migrants came to settle here. Under King Rama V (1968-1960), the kingdom saw the spread of Western influences in to Indochina, which, in turn, to the strategic importance of Chachoengsao. The regional office of Prachin administrative area was transferred from Prachinburi province to Chachoengsao where other administrative buildings were built; thus pointing to the fact that Chachoengsao is the centre for the administration in the east. Those are the city hall of Prachin Administrative Area which later becomes the regional office of Chachoengsao, the provincial court, the residence if the governor Krommoen Marupongsiripattana, and the post office, not to mention ancient monuments and constructions related to several cultural heritages such as Buddhist and Chinese temples, shop houses, and houses. Some of which were visited by King Rama V in 1907 and 1908. This entire cultural heritage reflects the role and the importance of Chachoengsao in the Thai history. Consequently, its old local culture as it was handed down from the past should be conserved and promoted as part of the cultural heritage of the kingdom.